2010 m. balandžio 1 d., ketvirtadienis

Interview: Kristine Bezbaile (english)

Kristine Bezbaile is a 19 year old snowboarder and wakeboarder from Latvia. She's won more than one title in both of these sports and is one of the best Baltic snowboarders at the moment. More importantly she is a honest, cheerful and always smiling person. So, I've thought, that it would be interesting to talk. About snowboarding and other sports, life and snowboarding scene in Latvia.

I: So, Kristine, introduce yourself a bit:, where do you live and ride most often? What are your sponsors? What is your set up?

KB: My name is Kristine Bezbaile. I’m 19 and I am smiling and positive girl from Latvia. Most offen I ride in Cesis, Zagarkalns it is a small place where to schred, but in my opinion the best place as well, because of the park obstacles' diversity. It's located approximately 80km from Riga.
Actually I haven’t got real sponsors! I can get only some discounts at the local shop Burusports and that’s all :(. My parents try to support me. Thanks a lot to them! My snowboard set up- Ride fever board, drake bindings, some old pink pants and stylish volcom jacket. My good friend sent it to me from China, yeah. (rock). My wakeboard set up- sinn hyperlite board, sinn bindings and ion lifejacket.

I:When did you get into snowboarding and what did you think of it first?

KB:I've started snowboarding 5 years ago (that was in 2004), thanks to my brother. At that time he played football and his coach took two best players to a mountain. And every time when he got back, he said that snowboarding is so cool, you should try it and so on. And I'd tried it. My first time was unforgettable, wonderful, filled with colored emotions. I still remember my legs trembling and heart beats getting faster before the first run. I was thrilled and happy and I will never forget that day. :)

I:What was the first trick you've learnt and how did you feel about it?

KB: Hmm my first trick.. let me think about it. Probably it was board slide on the box or kink, or indy grab, I am not really sure. But I remember how excited I was when I've learnt a board slide on a C- box :).

I: What was the most fun/funniest moment you had related to snowboarding?

KB: I have funny moments on the snowboard all the time. For example: I start to learn a new trick on the kicker and fall down on the bottom and tear my trousers on the funny place and for now there is a
big patch.


I: What do you think snowboarding gave you?

KB: Snowboarding teaches me a lot of things such as concentration, creativity,dedication, achieving goals and self-confidence. As I analyze it my passion for sports and this lifestyle make my personality more colourful.

I: What do you do when you want to try some new trick but are scared of trying?

KB: I try to do it at first on trampoline, then on smaller kicker. As well as music help me a lot, sometimes I just ask advice to someone :).

I: Ok, this one is cliche, but still. It's better to ride with guys or girls?

KB: In my opinion it is better to ride with boys, because most of them are crazy and do crazy stuffs and they can encourage you and help learn new tricks.


I: what other extreme sports you do? How do you consider they complement each other?

KB: I also do wakeboarding, a little inline skating and athletics. Probably wakeboarding is more like alternative to snowboarding in summer and athletics help me be fit.

I: Do you manage to get a lot of training with school and life interfering :D?

KB: Of course I can manage all my stuff together, but sometimes it is really hard, because I want excelent results in my academic work as well as I want be good at snowboarding and other sports. Sometimes it requires more time, patience and hard work. And in my opinion it is a good way to manage time and make schedule.

I: What is you favourite crew to ride with, or do you prefer to ride alone?

KB: I prefer ride alone with my ipod ;D But always enjoy to ride with my brother. :)

I: Well, sometimes we need to rest from the adrenaline rush. So what are your other hobbies?

KB: I like taking some photos and filming shoots as well. Also doing some creative stuff, for example making a party for young adults. I like documentaries about different things.

I: How do you imagine yourself in 10 years?

KB: In 10 years I will be more knowledgeable and more experienced in various areas of life. Maybe I will be a pro snowborder, dreaming is not forbidden ;D

I: Lets talk about the place you live. What is the latvian scene like now? What are all the guys and gals interested in (park, street etc)? How fast do you think is it growing? What is the level of riding?

KB: I think everything is in positive progress. I mean for example this season couple of guys (snowborders) created balticsnowparkagency. They improve latvian snowparks and organize different kind of snowboard shows . Here you can find more info http://balticsnowparkagency.eu/en. And I think it is really important, because it is good chance to ride in quality snowparks and improve riding skills. Most of people are interested in snowparks, however there are also some groups who ride in streets or backcountry. I think riding level is growing every year, especially in boys groups, because everyone pushes each other.

I: What is particularly the girls scene like? How many girls are riding park, boardercross, competing at competitions? Do you see any mini shreddettes growing up?

KB: If I need say honestly, girls scene is really poor. In my opinion girls in Latvia are inactive. For example no one rides in streets or backcountry, in competitions basically are only few riders ( 2-10) , if there are some snowboard shows I am always the only one who takes a part, what else last year I'd tried to find someone who would come with me to Nikita chickita competition, I couldn’t find any, then I really wanted to go to Demonium camps to start the season earlier no one wanted to go, then I'd tried to organize girls team for Red bull event in Valka/ Valga no one wanted to go and so on… I do not know what is wrong with Latvian girls, probably they just do not like snowboarding so much :/ In parks ride basically 10 girls I think, in boardercross there are 5 ...
Jap, suppose there are some mini girl riders, but I see more mini boys who are hanging around the park.


I: Do you feel the support for female snowboarders in your country?

KB: Noop, I don’t feel ANY support from Latvia. For example at first I haven’t got sponsors, I can just get some discounts and that’s all, secondly, this year the only Latvian snowboard magazine ”Triecienspeks” organized awards for top snowboarders in Latvia and there were different kind of nominations except girls, it is total discrimination :/ and lastly, Latvian skiing federation is uninterested in snowboard life, they even wasn’t able to organize Latvian championships in slopestyle and big air , it sucks, but it is reality. If you want to achieve something as a girl in Latvia, you need to totally fight for it.

I: How are the latvian snowparks, variaty of obstacles and avaibility for different levels? Do you have your favourite? Why?

KB: For now there are many interesting snowparks with a lot of obstacles and as well for different riding levels in Latvia. Jap I have my favourite snowpark in in Cesis( Zagarkalns), because there are different kind of boxes and kickers, there are diversity, that’s why I like it there. And also a good snowpark is Milzkalns. There are old slides, but really enjoyable kickers.

I: Are there many snowboarding comps every year? Do you have your favourite competition you go every year to?

KB: Last year there were a lot of comps, but this year were’t. Actually I haven’t got my favourite competition, I just try to take a part in all comps.

I: As much as I've seen on the last years championship and the park obstacles growing every year, the guys are getting crazy with slopestyle tricks. Do you think Latvia is going to have great slopestyle or even halfpipe pros taking high places at high level worldwide comps (or even olympics) in say 5 or 10 years?

KB: Probably Latvia will have great slopestyle pros, but it really depends on different kind of circumstances for example money , because if you want be a good snowboarder you need to participate in some summer comps and as well as take a part in European comps and so on. We will not get halfpipe pros so soon, because in Latvia there are no halfpipes, so we have no place to ride.
Quick questions:

1) Rocker or camber? – Rocker

2) Goofy or regular? - Goofy

3) Park or pow? – Pow and backcountry

4) Your best trick? – Smiling

5) Kickers, boxes or rails? Kickers and boxes

6) Early season or late season? Both

7) Best drink on the mountain? Carrot juice

8) Music/no music on the hill? If yes, what? Some old school stuff, indy rock, chill music, actually it depends on my mood. :)

9) Best snowboard movie? I don’t have one best snowboard movie, they are so many and I like a lot of them .

10) Do you have any superstitions on the mountain (like spin on the ground before dropping in for 360)? Nop, not really, but it is a good way how to warm up, before droppin 360 ;)


11) Your best warm up exercise? Some gymnastics elements and different kind of spins on the ground.

12) Snowboarding and the Olympics yes or no? Why? Yes, because at the Olympics always meet the best of the best riders and this competition is only after four years and it puts double pressure on the riders so it is a great opportunity to show all world what you've got. As well as improve yourself.

13) Soft board or hard board? Soft board

14) Lithuanians have many jokes about our neighbours, although most of them are about Estonians, there are some about Latvians as well. Do you have any about Lithuanians (oh, I'm sure you do)? Tell me your favourite.

Mmm I have the same situation, I know a lot of jokes about Estonians ;D But I don’t know really good jokes about Lithuanians, but I know this one:
Lithuanian guy goes outside
to call his dog- Reksas, Reksas!
Dog answers: Vauvas, vauvas!

I: Thats a nice one :D. Any shout outs?

KB: I want to say BIG thanks to my great family, especially my brother, because he supports me a lot. And I want say thanks to all the guys who helps me with my videos and photos as well.
Cheers!

Kristine's results:

--2010--

Boards.lv snowboard day sloopstyole – 1.place
Baltic Rookie challenge sloopstyle – 1.place


--2009--

Reinis Big air 1.place
Slalom Reinis 2.place
Latvian championship big air – 1.place
Latvian championship slalom – 2.place
Latvian championship SBX- 2.place
Fis SBX 3.place
Baltic Rookie challenge sloopstyle – 2.place
ZZ competition extreem sports – reader sympathy.
Nikitas video clip contest- special prize.
Take a part in Yought day rail jam to popularise snowboard in Latvia.
Forum rail jam the best girl snowborder.

--2008--

Award- The best snowborder and magazine „Triecienspēks” reader sympathy
Take a part in different rail jam shows.

--2007--

I was in Latvian national SBX team 2007
In yought Olimpic games ( JACA ) 34.place PSL

Wakeboarding

--2009--

Latvian championship third stage 1.place
Gravity games three time winner 1.place
Award- The best wakeboarder 2009

--2008--

Latvian championship first stage 2.place
Latvian championship second stage 1.place
Latvian championship third stage 3.place
Total- Latvian junior girl champion 2008
Lielvardes cup 2. place
Gravity games 1.place

Kristine shredding:



1 komentaras: